In Florida, Aggravated Battery is the intentional touching of another person with the intent to inflict great bodily harm or to use a deadly weapon. In addition, penalties for the offense include mandatory prison, with a maximum penalty of up to 15 years or more, depending on the application of Florida’s 10-20 Life law.
• Causing permanent disability or disfigurement.
• Using a deadly weapon (a weapon used or threatened to be used in a way to cause bodily harm or death,
• Battering a person who was known to be pregnant.
Aggravated battery must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant intentionally struck the victim and intentionally caused bodily harm or permanent disability while committing battery. Additionally, this could include a death.
• Firearm possessed during incident – Minimum term of 10 years imprisonment
• Semi-automatic weapon or machine gun possessed – 15 years imprisonment
• Firearm discharged during incident – 20 years imprisonment
• Firearm discharged causing bodily hard – 25 years imprisonment
• Acting in self-defense
• You were in fear of your life
• Defense of others
• Consent or mutual contact
• Lack of intent
• You had no intention to cause bodily harm
• You did not know your action would result in bodily harm or disability
• The weapon used was not capable of causing death, therefore, it was not considered a deadly weapon
Most importantly, if a prosecutor cannot prove these elements beyond a reasonable doubt, there may be no need to present a defense.
If you have been charged with aggravated battery in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Belle Glade, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lake Park, Lake Worth, Lantana, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Springs, Riviera Beach, Royal Palm Beach, or Wellington, call me, attorney Ronald Chapman, at 561-832-4348 to discuss your case and see how I might be able to help you. Since the penalties can be harsh when convicted on an aggravated battery charge, it is important to have an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney by your side in court if you are accused of aggravated battery.
Ronald Chapman practices criminal defense in both State and Federal Courts within the State of Florida. Since 1990, Mr. Chapman has been representing people accused of committing various types of crimes. If you are facing criminal charges in Florida, Ronald Chapman can help.
Visit us at https://www.justiceflorida.com/ You can also connect with the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense Office online today! Ronald Chapman, an experienced criminal defense lawyer, dedicated to defending your rights. Contact him today to begin to discuss your case.
Ronald S. Chapman, P.A.
400 Clematis Street, Suite 206
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved.
Llama ahora: (561) 832-4348
Respetamos su privacidad. La información que nos brinda será utilizada para responder sus preguntas o agendar una cita si usted así lo solicita.
© Propiedad Intelectual 2023. Abogado Penalista en Florida. Todos los Derechos Reservados.